I have been thinking a lot about WHY people get massage, what brings them in and keeps them coming back. After asking my clients and from my own experience, here is what I came up with:
1. To Relax and Relieve Stress My clients almost always list this as the most important reason they seek massage, to unwind and let go of stress and muscle tension associated with simply being alive and on this planet!
2. To Relieve Pain This can be any type of pain, from pain due to injury, overuse syndromes, chronic pain, or pain from an illness or condition (like Fibromyalgia for instance).
3. To Loosen up! Before an athletic event, after a difficult training session, or following an episode of intense weekend warrior activity. I know sometimes I will push a bit harder in a workout if I know a massage is in my near future, and I have clients who do the same thing!
4. To Zone Out Massage can be a great time to just move to another place of consciousness, where clients don’t have to think about anything or worry about anything, they can just BE, and not focus on anything else except feeling good and receiving healing energy.
5. To have time for themselves Number 4 and 5 go hand in hand. I have found that so often in this care taking world that we live in, clients (especially women, but some men too) often meet everybody else’s needs before their own, and their needs get pushed to the bottom of the list. Massage is a great way to move yourself back up to the top of the list, to take a little time out just for yourself! You deserve it!